Doubt not, fear not

There’s been a lot on my mind lately. It seems like as soon as I get one aspect of my life figured out something else pops up right away that needs to be worked on, fixed, improved, etc. It’s hard sometimes not to let certain things become points of worry. I read recently that the subconscious mind makes up about 90% of our brains and that it will tend to control our thought patterns using learned habits of thinking, unless we use the conscious mind (the other 10%) to direct it otherwise. I prefer not to allow any negative, learned habits of thought to control me. It seems healthy to turn off the brain autopilot (the subconscious mind) and reprogram ourselves to envision a happy present/future as often as possible.

Peace of mind, in large part, is a matter of proactively focusing one’s thoughts on good things, which in turn creates a state of mind where faith and a hopeful outlook is possible. Today, I was reminded of the need to keep the right focus as I began to think with worry about some thing that is unimportant in the larger scheme of things. I have a stack of index cards on my desk with favorite scriptures on them that I flip through occasionally, this one happened to be on the top of the stack:

“Look unto me in every thought; doubt not, fear not.” (D&C 6:36)

As soon as I read this I had a strong thought/impression come to me as a firm reminder that the Lord doesn’t give us fear, it doesn’t come from Him. He told us not to be fearful in any way, period. How many times in the scriptures are we told not to fear and not to doubt? We’re taught to simply be believing, exercise faith, follow His commandments, trust Him and things will eventually work out, if not right away. There are no scriptures that say first you’re supposed to sit around and worry about things, after you’ve nagged yourself and dreaded the possible negative outcomes long enough, then you’ll be blessed with good things and with happiness. It doesn’t work that way. Push all doubts and worries out of your mind and continually focus on the good you have and will soon have in your life. We’re not supposed to go it alone either, God is there to help us every step of the way.

“For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.” (2 Timothy 1:7)

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s